Regulatory Sandbox framework (draft) of RURA, the utilities regulator (including telecommunications and information technology) of Rwanda. An excerpt of the draft framework is as follows:
Reference is made to article 129 of Law N°24/2016 of 18/06/2016 governing Information and Communication Technologies especially in its paragraph 7, requesting the regulator to: "encourage investment and innovation in information and communications technologies, for the promotion of electronic transactions" Reference is also made to article 130 of Law N°24/2016 of 18/06/2016 governing Information and Communication Technologies, determining responsibilities of the Regulatory Authority in relation to information society issues.
This Sandbox Framework is especially intended for the following: 1. A ground-breaking innovation which is a new, or products or services significantly different from products which complies with all relevant regulatory requirements; 1. Institutions wishing to pilot and launch their technological innovations that aren't addressed by current regulations issued by RURA; and 2. Fintech products or services, sharing economy products or services, and other technological innovative solutions in relation to the current regulated sectors.
Law Nº 09/2013 of 01/03/2013 establishing Rwanda Utilities Regulatory Authority (RURA) and determining its mission, powers, organisation and functioning. This Law gives to RURA the mandate to regulate:
- Telecommunications, information technology, broadcasting and converging electronic technologies including the internet and any other audiovisual information and communication technology;
- Postal services;
- Renewable and non-renewable energy, industrial gases, pipelines and storage facilities;
- Transport of persons and goods;
- Radiation Protection; and
- Other public utilities, if deemed necessary.